Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Glee - Grilled Cheesus

So much to discuss and so little time!

The good stuff first:

1) Kurt's relationship with his dad, Burt, has always been a wonderful part of Glee. Burt, for a blue collar, football loving kind of guy, has always been amazingly accepting and supportive of his obviously gay son. The flashback scenes where they were at Kurt's mom's funeral and then having a tea party (complete with pinkies held just so!) were both heart-warming and heart-breaking. And, oh, my gosh! That kid they got to play young Kurt looked so much like teenage Kurt, it was ridiculous. I even wondered if they'd spent a fortune on special effects for those scenes.

2) I think that different sides of the God/no God opinions were well done and true to the characters that voiced them. I can easily see how Kurt would have trouble believing in a God that would make him gay and therefore easily made fun of. I can also see Sue claiming to have rejected God since he didn't do her bidding and "cure" her sister.

On the other side of the coin, I can easily see Finn, one of the dimmest and most naive of the gleeks, believing in God because his face appeared on a grilled cheese sandwich. I can also see the different gleeks wanting to express their feelings and support of Kurt through song and how they'd want to give him the kind of support they'd want, not necessarily what Kurt wants and/or needs.

I also loved the part where Sue realized that her sister, the one whom she'd lost her own faith over, believes in God and asks her to pray for her. I'm not ashamed to admit that I got a little teary.

The bad:

1) This is one of the few episodes where I didn't care for most of the song selections and felt like there were too many musical numbers crammed into the episode. I did enjoy Puck's Only the Good Die Young and thought Kurt's I Wanna Hold Your Hand was sweet (even if it was kind of an odd choice if you go beyond the title). I thought Mercedes' I Turn to You and Rachel's solos really felt like diva moments more than an outpouring of feeling. Finn's Losing My Religion was an understandable choice, but good grief, it was terrible...

There are so many good songs out there about faith (or lack of it) that I was kind of disappointed in the obvious song selections. One of Us? Really? It really felt like more of an opportunity to add hit songs to the Glee collection than anything else and I'm more than a little disappointed that they didn't figure out a way to add Don Henley's Little Tin God or The Doobie Brothers Jesus Is Just Alright.

2) The God/Christ that I know would never condemn a person for being gay or for believing/not believing a certain doctrine. After all, the greatest commandment is Love: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul; and love your neighbor as yourself. The God that preaches this would never condemn someone to hell.
It did feel kind of like the show was a little heavy on the Christians are crazy and narrow minded soapbox but then there was that scene with Sue and her sister. I did feel better after that bit.

the Awesome:

Brittany: I did an entire book report about heart attacks if you want to give it to the doctor. They took of a letter grade because it was written in crayon.

Sue: I realize you're only half orangutan but I'm still allergic to your lustrous ginger mane.

Kurt's hat! It was fantabulistic - quite possibly the most amazing hat I've ever seen.


I feel like I've rambled on. What did you think about this episode? Find it here if you haven't seen it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment